Thursday, December 1, 2011

Waldo is on the West Bank

Sometimes I wonder if riding the ferry is like standing in an elevator or peeing at a urinal (I'm using this particular example based on heresay, mind you) -- maybe people just don't like to talk on the ferry. Oh, if you say hi and strike up a conversation, most people are happy to chat, but for the most part, the regular biking crowd that I see every morning and afternoon mostly passes their ferry time tapping away on their phones. Now, I am a smart phone geek myself, but I don't allow the phone to come out on the ferry. I suppose I can't fault people for not using the ride as an experiment in observation. (Or maybe one day I will come across a blog with a post about a really annoying talkative chick on the ferry. )

It's their loss. I wonder if anyone saw the pigeon that flew on at Algiers this morning and hitched a ride all the way across the river, walking on the deck and pecking at crumbs. I wonder if anyone noticed how the waves on the water this evening consisted of perfect undulating ripples as if the Mississippi was made of twilight silk. I wonder if anyone else was elated to realize upon seeing the man with a long coat, big black glasses and a pointed red knit cap that they had, in fact, finally found Waldo.

2 comments:

  1. The universal vows of urinal silence may be suspended in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog always makes me feel like I too am riding the ferry in New Orleans; great visual imagery.
    Too bad the other cyclists are not as impressed with the scene; I suppose they have just gotten jaded to the beauty of the commute. Or maybe they have turned inward like a lot of big city dwellers because of too much sensory input.
    Thanks for inviting us along on the ride!

    ReplyDelete