Friday, February 24, 2012

Spring stream of consciousness

Spring is springing and there is no escape! The air is heavy despite a rising breeze and I should know better than to forget a jacket when a very temperamental March is only a few days away. But I have my Friday coffee and peach danish, so life isn't too terrible as I sit here and wait for the ferry.

The sky is darkening rapidly-- clouds are approaching the West Bank from the bridge and the French Quarter. Every time a gust blows across the river I am caressed with a wet washcloth of wind--it's both invigorating and clammy, like holding a boy's sweaty hand for the first time. 

A man beside me is wearing scrubs-- I think because they are comfortable and not because he works  in the medical field.  I really want to eat the peach danish in my bag but I'm saving it for when I can move away from Mr. Scrubs' cigarette so I can enjoy the peaches and cream aroma properly. I smelled freshly cut grass on the ride in this morning and it made me want to dig in the dirt so badly my heart constricted. This time of year makes my blood ache to grow flowers and strawberries and fling the windows wide so I can smell and hear the world coming to life again after the forced quiet of winter.

At the coffee shop this morning they were already preparing for the Lunch rush-- the special today is a Lenten dish and when the lady told me I was immediately transported back to my Catholic school days. Though I no longer practice, this hearkening back to the rituals of my childhood is somehow comforting. Family has been on my mind lately. Last night I dreamed I paid Rodney Dangerfield $200 to be my dad for the day. I have no idea where this came from and wonder what other strange B list celebrities live in my subconscious unbeknownst to me.

On the ferry now and all of a sudden the wind went from playful and wet to cold and fierce. The rain is starting to fall and I will be a drowned cat by the time I get to work. Blowing so hard now that the ferry can't dock. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment