Friday, January 6, 2012

So this is the new year.

Happy 2012! Do you think the Mayans were on to something? What if this is our last year on Earth? Would you do anything differently? What should a New Years' resolution look like for the last year on Earth? Eat MORE fried food? Drink more good whiskey? Use the fine china to eat pizza on a Wednesday? Tell people you love that you love them?

I love the turning of the year and the unfurling of a new set of 365 days to do it all a little better. And even though I am a creature of habit and find it hard to stick to resolutions, I appreciate the effort, and every once in a while one sticks and I feel more open to the possibility that exists all around us all the time. Even on Tuesdays in the middle of March.

My 2012 resolution for this frivolous folly of a blog is the same as when I started it-- to spend my days with my eyes open, alert to small moments of joy, to little bits and pieces of color and shape and movement and humanity and laughter that make life seem to mean more on a daily basis.

And so, with that, here is my recap of the first week of 2012 on the Algiers Ferry.

1. A middle-aged couple riding back to the West Bank, drinking beer from a can wrapped in a brown paper bag warning a group of obnoxious tourist teenagers (all somewhat overweight, extra-earnest young people in matching turquoise shirts that stated their printed desire to serve God and the world) who were leaning precariously over the railing and egging each other on to jump in and go for a swim that "the Mississippi will eat you alive baby. You don't swim in that river." After their friendly admonishment, we struck up a conversation while waiting for the cars to offload when all of a sudden the woman saw a familiar face waiting to board with his bicycle. Pee-Wee was his name and apparently he and the woman were an item at one point. The man she is with now didn't seem to think much of Pee-Wee and informed me that he in fact was a much better kisser than Pee-Wee because he didn't have any teeth. (Author's note: I need someone who has kissed a toothless man to please verify that they are better kissers for me. Much obliged.)

2. A wonderful cyclist knitting an orange and white hat that contained knit images of horses with fire under their hooves. I am so so jealous of her talent--I've never progressed beyond garter stitch scarves. Her bicycle is decoupaged as well. I think I'm in love.






3. Tuesday morning was exceedingly cold. So cold that my cheeks felt numb. But I woke early enough to make myself a pot of coffee and brought it with me. So on that frosty cold morning I stood on the rail and drank my coffee and warmed my hands on the thermos and felt quite satisfied with myself and the brisk air. The Irish Cream helped a little. 

4. Mr. A was working the ferry when this behemoth sailed by. It is a huge container ship registered in Monrovia. The back of the ship looked like the theater where the muppets would all sing in their respective nooks. I was talking to Mr. A when the ship passed us and we saw the back, so I didn't pull out my camera to snap a picture, but Mr. A agreed and hummed a few bars of the muppets theme with me.
 







5. I saw a steaming bowl of cloud soup. And it was delicious.






3 comments:

  1. Verification service awaits--as soon as I can get my surgically implanted dentures removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who knew the Algiers Ferry could evoke so many good things. This will make me appreciate a morning commute better. The cloud soup is such a fine photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Both of you have made my day!

    ReplyDelete